History of St. James

There has been a church in Bishampton since the 12th century although the current building is largely a Victorian rebuild inspired by local architect¬†Frederick Preedy¬†in 1870. The current building is a grade 2* listed building and great effort has been made to try and restore much of Preedy’s vision for the church.

Of the Norman church only the font remains. Originally the church was dedicated to St.Peter but during the rebuilding the figure carved on the pulpit was St.James and it was deemed easier to change the name of the church at that time!

The six bells in the tower were cast by William Bagley and the separate Sanctus bell is reputed to have been given by William Kite in 1620 (more information on the bells by Chris Pickford)

The organ was probably built by Joseph Gildersleeve of London well over 100 years ago and was originally used in St.Andrews church in Pershore. It was installed in Bishampton by Peter Averis in the 1960’s